Rabbits/insects and rabbits

Question
bug1
bug1  

bug2
bug2  
Hello I have found these insects (picture attached) around my rabbit's pen and specially in their food, I discovered a bunch of these insects in their big bag of pellets which i had to throw out. I've also seen the darker one around walls and all around the carpeted floor. are these harmful to rabbits? any safe way to get rid off insects without harming the rabbits?

thanks

Answer
Dear Lissette

These look like little weevils that are living and breeding in the bunny's food.  I would throw out those pellets and buy fresh, and maybe even bring those back to the store where you got them, as the food is obviously old and contaminated.  :(

Be sure you're not buying pellets with any colorful bits, seeds, corn, etc. as these not only attract the beetles, but also are very unhealthy for your rabbit.  Please see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

The weevils are probably harmless.  However, they can, in some cases, be the intermediate host for certain species of tapeworms.   If your rabbit eats the weevil, and it is harboring larval tapeworms (cysticerci), then your bunny *could* become the definitive host for the adult, intestinal tapeworm.  This is not common, but not impossible.

If you're concerned, please find a good rabbit vet here:

http://www.rabbit.org/vet

and ask about having a fecal exam done to check for parasites.  An overall wellness exam at the same time would be a good idea.

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.