Rabbits/Possible Pregnancy of 4 month old Holland Lop doe

During the week of February 15, 2015 I was on crutches and could not be in my rabbitry every day (Small with two breeding age does, one breeding age buck, and one 4 month old doe (born November 1, 2014). My boyfriend was helping me out by doing chores and at some point during that week (I'm thinking Feb 16) he found my buck in the cage with my 4 month old doe. Freak accident, the buck chewed out of his cage through the floor of my does cage and hopped up through the hole (my theory). I was in shock, but assumed that she would not have allowed him to breed her/she would not yet be fertile as she was still under 4 months at the time (she was supposed to get bred at 6 months to a different buck). Now here we are approximately 2 weeks later and I'm concerned she might have allowed/taken. Her temperament has changed slightly and she seems more territorial of her repaired cage. Buck has been moved to a completely wire cage for his unruly actions. My question is will she even be able to kindle? I believe shes sitting at about 3 lbs currently give or take a few ounces. I would never allow a doe that young to breed, is there a way to terminate her possible pregnancy? If there is no termination method should I induce her at 28 days from Feb 16 with Oxytocin and hope the kits are not already too large? Any help would be greatly appreciated as my number one priority is the survival and health of the doe with the interest of keeping her breeding potential.

Dear Rylee,

Where there is a will, there is a way.

If the male was relatively small, this baby might be able to safely bear her young.  But there are no guarantees.  I would recommend that you take her to the vet for radiographs or palpation to see if there are fetuses, and how big they are now.  The vet may be able to tell you whether she can safely bear these babies.

She might also be having a false pregnancy.  I hope that's all it is.  But it is not impossible for a baby this young to become pregnant, as domestic rabbits don't seem to have the natural "stops" that wild rabbits have for this sort of thing.

You can find a rabbit vet here:

Please also read:

I hope she will be fine.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology