Rabbits/My Rabbit...

I was away from home and left my 1 1/2 year old bunny with my friend for the week.  My friend just called me and said that she was diagnosed with having scabies.  Should I be concerned for my rabbit?

Hi Erica

You'll be pleased to know that the mite that causes human scabies should not effect our bunnies. These nasty little parasites tend to be species specific and are unlikely to cross contaminate. Your friend will have picked up this nasty little bug from another human, hope she gets the all clear soon!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.