Rabbits/Age of rabbit

Question
Lop
Lop  

lop
lop  
Hi again, I wanted to give you an update and let you know we returned the other gray lop that had the eye infection to the breeder & exchanged her for this one but didn't tell me an exact age. Can you give me an idea of the age of this kit please? She is a holland lop and her ears have not fallen yet. Thank you!

Answer
There is no way this baby is 8 weeks old.  I would guess it is probably 4 weeks old.  Since rabbits have a sterile GI tract and they do not develop immunity until they are about 7 weeks old and shouldn't be weaned until 8 weeks old, I strongly suggest that you take your baby bunny to a rabbit savvy vet.

You might also instruct the person who sold it to you that it is illegal in many States to sell rabbits that are under 8 weeks old.

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.