Rabbits/Hair Loss on Lop

bald spot behind ears
bald spot behind ears  
QUESTION: Hello I came across your response to another bunny owner whose rabbit tested negative for mites but is losing hair behind the neck. Today we adopted a 6 wk old Holland lop who has this same hair loss. The breeder attributed it to being a lop. When I mentioned the white flakes all over the body she said none of the cage Mates had hair loss or signs of mites. She offered to treat her (in 2 days) With prophylactic.  She is also an RN. So I am confused as to if our new baby has mites and what to do. Please help!

ANSWER: This is a very common place for a bald patch in American Fuzzy Lops.  Rabbits with wool are also very susceptible to dry flaky skin.  I would not treat this bunny without confirmation from a vet that the hair loss is from mites.  She looks very tiny almost to tiny to be away from her mother and probably to tiny for medications to be safe.  I would keep an eye on it but in this case I agree with the breeder.  Having had American Fuzzy Lops myself I can indeed agree that this is a common trait of this breed.

If it gets worse or spreads then I would suggest a vet treatment for a skin scraping.

Good luck

gunk in eyes
gunk in eyes  
QUESTION: I am going to send a few other pictures that are better quality

I really wish I had a photo to show you.  This behind the ear hair loss is very common in this breed. Especially at this age while they are still in their baby coat.  As long as the baby is 8 weeks old it should be safe to give Revolution.  I do not like ivermectin and I don't like to use it.  If you are in the USA you can't get Revolution without a prescription.  If the breeder offered to treat the bunny chances are they are using ivermectin which can be dangerous if not dosed properly.  

The eye does look irritated but it looks more like drainage from the tear duct than mange.  Rabbits with severe mange will look like they are caked in white powder.  Since this bunny is obviously a wee baby it would not have time for the mites to build up this residue.

Do you have the capability of seeing a vet?  It is very easy to do a skin scraping and give you peace of mind.  It also looks like the bunny may need some eye drops for the drainage in her eye.

Good luck to you

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.