Rabbits/rabbit chewing pee pads

I just adopted a 4 month old mini lop. I put doggie peepee pads under her fleece. She loves to shred and eat the pads. She also LOVES to eat tissue paper out of the tissue box. Is this safe?

The pee pad material itself shouldn't be dangerous to your bun, however my concern here is that she could experience a blockage from the material getting lodged somewhere in her system. Are you able to switch to something like newspaper? Newspaper, like tissues, have less of a chance of blockage because the paper is thinner and, when exposed to any moisture, easily disintegrates.

Hope this helps!

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.