Rabbits/bonding a baby and neutered adult

Hello Cat, I had two beautifully bonded rabbits who were together since they were babies. When they hit puberty I seperated them with a wire pannel, in a way that they could still be with each other until the male was old enough to get neutered and 6 weeks after. I did not spay the female as I was afraid the doctor would not be knowledgable enough and she would be in so much pain after surgery, that she would stop eating and go into stasis. She was of course, the alfa but never a bully to him, they had a wonderfull 5 years together. Unfortunately, she died 3 months ago. It has been so sad to see our male all by himself, he now seems lost, even though we try to keep him as much company as we can. We tried to bond him with a 7 month old female (unspayed) and it did not work out. He imediately tryied to cuddle and groom her but she attacked him every time. I was ready with the water spray of course. After the 3 day of attacks he started to hate her and one time actually went after her to attack her. We gave her back. I though to try again with a baby female this time and do it little by little, do you think that would work? thank you so mucho for your help :)

Hi Malini

Bonding can be so tricky!

I wouldn't recommend a baby female. There's a chance it could work for a couple of weeks, but then her hormones will kick in and you could have the same problem with fighting as you had previously and the bond break down.

Are there definitely no exotic vets nearby who know about spaying rabbits? It would be exotic specialists but I have no idea what the vet training situation is in Mexico. It's pretty poor in the UK for rabbits to be honest, but there are some specialist vets in among the useless ones who really care about their rabbits.

When it comes to bonding, the most important bit is personality, not age or breed or anything like that, and unfortunately the personalities of most unspayed females is, well, grumpy! You were lucky with your female whose passed on as the pair were together as babies and went through puberty together.

Have a chat with the guys on this forum, my personal experience with bonding is limited, but they will know more!

Good luck!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.