Rabbits/bunnies

Question
we have some weaned bunnies that keep on dying, they have this yellow jelly looking clear poop, and diarrhea so i'm not sure whats going on. we had bought some rabbits from outside and when figured out that there were a prob with them we got rid of all of them. but now i have bunnies that are dying every day.  what can i do please thank you and God Bless.

Answer
Hi STMM
Sorry to hear you're losing these bunnies.

Unfortunately it sounds a lot like mucoid enteritis, a serious gut disorder which can be fatal in youngsters. There are a number of causes but it does need vet intervention to correctly diagnose and treats. This is from Medirabbit:

"As the disease develops very rapidly, treatment of bacterial enteritis often comes too late. Antibiotics and sulfonamide drugs will help prevent the growth of pathogen bacteria. Anti-diarrhea product can help stop the diarrhea, e.g. Hylak, a concentrate of lactic ferments. The administration of cholestyramine will bind toxins released by pathogen bacteria. Probiotic powders or paste, although controversial, will help the growth of the endemic healthy bacterial flora.

If the rabbit is dehydrates, subcutaneous fluids should be given. If the rabbit refuses to eat, it must be forced food, using a syringe.

In the case of yeast overgrowth, this can be treated by reduced the carbohydrates sources in the diet, or with nystatin."

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

Find a good rabbit vet and get the remaining litter in ASAP!

Hope I helped
Cat

Rabbits

Cat