we have some weaned bunnies that keep on dying, they have this yellow jelly looking clear poop, and diarrhea so i'm not sure whats going on. we had bought some rabbits from outside and when figured out that there were a prob with them we got rid of all of them. but now i have bunnies that are dying every day.  what can i do please thank you and God Bless.

You need to take your rabbits to a rabbit savvy vet to find out what is causing the diarrhea.  Diarrhea in young rabbits is almost always fatal.  It could be anything from coccidiosis to tyzzers disease.  We have found that young rabbits that have either of these illnesses have had a better chance of recovery with a combination of pain medication, ponazuril (anti cocci medication), fluid replacement (SubQ fluids) and Flagyl (given for clostridium overload) and GI stimulating agents.  You need a vet to prescribe you these medications and you have to be willing to force feed them with critical care.

I also strongly recommend that your baby bunnies have fresh timothy hay as a majority of their diet.  The more fiber they get the more likely their GI tract will continue to move in the right direction.

There is little or nothing you can do at home to treat these animals once they have become sick.  If you are able to get a rabbit in for necropsy at your vet this could help to determine what is causing the illness and make it easier and more successful to treat.

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.