Rabbits/From Grief, For Truth, In Memory of Pebbles

Tempo SC Ultra pesticide, (Bayer Product) was used at our apartment and I strongly believe some chemical residue killed our beloved Pet Pebbles, the Lion Haired Rabbit. I would have sold everything to keep her well, I would have put down anyone who stood in the way of me trying to save her. I have lost too much in my life, and I need answers. I myself cant do the chemistry/biology like I once did before a most grievous injury. Please assist so I can have some degree of closure, before it consumes me further. With great appreciation for absolute truth, thank you.

Dear Gerald

I am so sorry for your tragic loss.

The only way to confirm that the pesticide was the cause of death is to have a necropsy performed by a rabbit-savvy veterinarian who can send tissue samples to the proper laboratories for histopathology and--most importantly--toxicology testing.  I hope you still have Pebbles's mortal remains, because unless you do, there is no way to verify the cause of death.

Please check the vet listings here:

for a rabbit vet in your area.  The body must have been kept very cold (not frozen) from shortly after the time of death, and necropsy should be performed preferably within 24 hours.  I hope it is not too late.

I am so very sorry.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology