Rabbits/Overgrowth of my rabbit's premolar tooth

Question
Dear Dana,

My 4-year old rabbit has been found to have overgrowth of two premolar in the upper left jaw. It caused inflammation of his left eye. A local veterinarian has given him terramycin ointment and antibotics injection. Later she extracted one premolar. I can feel slight moisture in his left eye while the same position of the right eye is dry. It seems that the other premolar is impinging on the tear duct. I can feel the intrusion of a tooth root into the skull when touching his head.

The local veterinarian suggested eradication of the other premolar. I feel that losing two premolar would kill his chewing ability of the left side. Do you have any suggestion?

I live in Shanghai, China. The medical facility for treating a rabbit is very limited. The veterinarian eradicated one tooth of the rabbit without any pain killer.

Thank you for your help.

Answer
Dear Daisy,

If the opposing molar is growing into the jaw, then the best option is to permanently remove it.  I hope the vet knows how to destroy the germ tissue at the base of the tooth (the tooth must be pressed into the germ layer for about 30 seconds, to destroy the cells, before the tooth is extracted) so it won't re-grow.

This will not harm the bunny's ability to chew.  He has more than enough teeth to make up for the loss if the other molars are fine.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.