Rabbits/Overgrowth of my rabbit's premolar tooth

Question
Dear Pam Enve,

My 4-year old rabbit has been found to have overgrowth of two premolar in the upper left jaw. It caused inflammation of his left eye. A local veterinarian has given him terramycin ointment and antibotics injection. Later she extracted one premolar. I can feel slight moisture in his left eye while the same position of the right eye is dry. It seems that the other premolar is impinging on the tear duct. I can feel the intrusion of a tooth root into the skull when touching his head.

The local veterinarian suggested eradication of the other premolar. I feel that losing two premolar would kill his chewing ability of the left side. Do you have any suggestion?

I live in Shanghai, China. The medical facility for treating a rabbit is very limited. The veterinarian eradicated one tooth of the rabbit without any pain killer.

Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hi Daisy,

Rabbits can survive without their teeth.  We have had bunnies that have had all of their teeth extracted.  I would strongly recommend that if you do choose to have the other tooth removed that you suggest to the vet that they prescribe some pain medication.

If you have further questions I suggest that you contact Dr. Dana Krempels on this forum.  She has more extensive knowledge on medical conditions such as this.

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.