Rabbits/bonding a baby and neutered adult

Question
Hi Pam. I had two beautifully bonded rabbits who were together since they were babies. When they hit puberty I seperated them with a wire pannel, in a way that they could still be with each other until the male was old enough to get neutered and 6 weeks after. I did not spay the female as I was afraid the doctor would not be knowledgable enough and she would be in so much pain after surgery, that she would stop eating and go into stasis. She was of course, the alfa but never a bully to him, they had a wonderfull 5 years together. Unfortunately, she died 3 months ago. It has been so sad to see our male all by himself, he now seems lost, even though we try to keep him as much company as we can. We tried to bond him with a 7 month old female (unspayed) and it did not work out. He imediately tryied to cuddle and groom her but she attacked him every time. I was ready with the water spray of course. After the 3 day of attacks he started to hate her and one time actually went after her to attack her. We gave her back. I though to try again with a baby female this time and do it little by little, do you think that would work? thank you so mucho for your help :)"

Answer
Hi Malini,

There is never a guarantee that a bond will work but we have had great success bonding babies to adults.  If the adult rabbit is calm it should be an easy bond.  Baby bunnies don't have their hormones yet and are usually happy to just have company.  I really do believe that a baby would be far easier than trying to bond with an unspayed female.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.