Rabbits/Bunny Housing

My bunny is currently in a moderately spacious cage but seems to hate being in the cage when I put her up so I try to give her plenty of floor time (about 7 hours a day or more) but I would like to extend her cage with a pen of some sort to give her more room to roam at night when I put her up. Do you have any suggestions? She chews on the bars so I'm definitely trying to give my baby bunny more space ASAP.

Hi Kirbi

Glad to hear you want to give her more space! They can never have too much space.

Puppy pen panels are an excellent and flexible way to extend their space. Ideally pen panels which are 3ft high (you can get ones with gates built in) are best to prevent escapes. Make sure the bar spacing isn't wide enough for her to get her head in though - or put mesh around the base to prevent this.

Or you can, if you're handy with a hammer or know someone who is, build a more solid pen like these by UK-based Boyle's Pet Housing. Solid and lovely looking too!

Or maybe even a castle for your princess:

Get imaginative! Rabbits love lots of places to hide, places to (safely) get up high and survey all that is theres, and of course things to destroy!

Have fun :)

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.