Rabbits/Bunny Leg Sprained or Fractured?

My just over 2 month old bunny was behind me when a small ironing board fell over towards him. He ran out of the way and before I could see what happened he was in his tunnel scared to come out. I don't know if he was frightened and ran away and when he moved too fast on the laminent floors he pulled a muscle or the board fell on him.

The board fell 80% on a pillow so the force wouldn't be 100%. He is hopping around with his left leg in the air and not able to stretch it out. However it's been 2 days and he's putting more weight on it and stretching it more now.

We took him to the vet and he wasn't sure (mind you he didn't seem to know what he was talking about) the X-rays to find out are going to cost over $500 and I don't want to spend it if I don't have to but also I love him and want what's best.

He's in pain meds the vet gave us and he seems happier. Any advise or ways I could check and see what's going on? He doesn't flinch if I touch it or move it at all. Only when I pull his leg almost all the way.

I would love any help I can get - he's been such an inspiration in my life I don't want him to be hurt - I feel like a Terrible mom!! 🐰🐰💕💕

Dear Olivia,

You're not a terrible mom.  Accidents happen, and it sounds to me as if Mocha (adorable picture!) dodged a bullet.

If he is putting weight on the foot, then it is not likely broken.  I would stay the course and keep an eye on his progress.  If there is no improvement, or if anything seems to be getting worse, then please find a good *rabbit* vet and have him examined. (A radiograph should not cost $500!)  You can find one here:

Unfortunately, there seems to be a paucity of good rabbit vets in the Great White North.  But I hope that referral list will help.

Healing thoughts coming to you and Mocha,

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology