Rabbits/bunny life span

Hi im hoping you can answer this question for me...I have a 4 year old dwarf lion head rabbit.. In the last few days he has gotten a growth on the top of his foot, looks like a large grape. When we took him to the vet he stated that it was a tumor and surgery was the only way to remove it,but to think about it because he had a 50/50 chance of survival because of his age..I didnt think that he was that old of a rabbit but, yet he says that this breed only lives about 3-5 years and i am reading diferrent  articles and several different life spans for this breed...Can you help me out here and give me what you think there life span may be? And how correct this information is? He is the same playful bunny, doesnt seem to bother him, but i wanted you opinion on this kind of surgery and what his chances of survival could be...

If your veterinarian is telling you that rabbits only live 3-5 years you need to find a new vet.  Rabbits that live indoors can live well into their teens.  As for surgery we have had rabbits up to 7 years old spayed/neutered. Anything older than that I would recommend you get an organ function blood test first.  With a knowledgeable vet your rabbit should do just fine with surgery.

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.