Rabbits/Fire ants and bunnies?

So my bunny Rudy was bit by a lot of ants..not to where it covered him but maybe 15-20..
My mother and I gave him some Benadryl and it seems to be helping with the swelling, I'm just still concerned. So far it looks like he is sleeping..I have been checking on him hourly to make sure he is breathing okay. What should I do next? I'm scared to take him to the vet because most likely they'll put him down. Before this all happened he was perfectly fine but my mother decided to give him to a friend of ours..well I got him back but he was just skin and I'm not saying she abused him..she's been raising bunnies her whole life..but I don't know if maybe he got depressed and didn't eat or if maybe he caught something from the other bunnies..I've raised him since he was 2 months old. I just don't want to lose him. I haven't been able to find anything about fire ants and bunnies..if there's anything else I should do please let me know! Thankyou soo much!

Katie and Rudy

I have no idea what the affects of fire ants would be but I would imagine that it would be the same as a bee sting.  There is absolutely no reason a vet would recommend an animal be put to sleep unless it is severely suffering.  Is the bunny eating, drinking and pooping?  If so he will probably recover.  However, if he is swollen or having difficulty breathing he needs to go the the vet immediately.  If you do not trust your current vet you can attempt to locate a rabbit savvy vet here:

If you have any further questions I suggest that you ask Dr. Dana Krempels.  She may know more about fire ants.  I do think she will recommend that you take your rabbit to the vet also.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.