Rabbits/Lump at the Base of Tail

Layton\'s Tail
Layton's Tail  
While grooming my rabbit, I noticed this white bump that seems to be filled with fluid right above the base of her tail. I will attach an image of how it looked yesterday. Today it seems more scaly and yellow and some of the hair around the tail seems to be falling out now. Not sure what to make of it.

This looks, and sounds, like an abscess. Is she itching at it/does it seem to irritate her?
It's going to require antibiotics and potentially a lancing to drain the fluid to avoid further infection and problems. I'd recommend visiting a vet as soon as possible.

Best of luck!

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.