Rabbits/pregnant bunnies

Question
i have a pregnant bunny. i know she is pregnant but she got pregnant with her brother, they are from different litters though, I'm not sure if that changes anything. any ways, will the babies be okay? they are lion heads and are 8 months and 10 months. please get back to me asap.

Answer
Hi Joanna,

Some of the top breeders in the country will breed brother to sister.  It does not cause genetic defects but it can bring about genetic defects that the animals are already carrying.  If you have babies with malocclusion, split penis, wry tail etc. it means your rabbits are carrying the genetic traits for these defects.  If you see genetic defects those animals should not be bred again to any rabbit because these issues will be put into the gene pool.

If you are not breeding for show purposes or for meat (which Lionheads are to small) then you really should consider getting your bunnies spayed and neutered.  There are literally thousands of rabbits in shelters that were bred by people thinking they would be able to find them homes.  There are not enough homes for the rabbits that already exist.

I hope your babies are fine.  There is a very low chance that there will be issues because most responsible breeders will not continue to breed animals with genetic issues and will cull them.

Pam  

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.