Rabbits/Rabbit Communication

Hi Cat! I would really like an expert's knowledge on the communication of rabbits. How do they do it?

Hi Emma!

It's all about body language. The ear position, nose wiggle rate, position of the head, and they will do audible things too like grunt, squeak, buzz and huff. And of course there's stomping to alert other rabbits of danger, or just to show their annoyance at something.

This is a good website for learning their body language:

Hope this helps!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.