Rabbits/Breeding rabbits

Question
Hi. I have some questions for u about the breeding of rabbits. I bred my 6 month old mini lop rabbit a few days ago on Wednesday July 15 last week and i was wondering if it's safe to get her out of her cage and carry her/let her hop around. Would falling/being scared cause a miscarriage for my rabbit? I'm worried that if i do any of these things or palpate her that I'll damage her kits. Should i take her to a vet to palpate her?

Answer
Hi Addie,

You do not need to take your rabbit to the vet to palpate her.  Either she is pregnant or she isn't. Just give her a box in 28 days and leave it in until she either has them or until the 34th day.  

Yes you can let your rabbit out to play.  Just be extra careful when you carry her.  People take rabbits that are bred to rabbit shows and it does not affect their offspring.

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.