Would it keep mosquitos away if I just sprayed the outside of my hutch with people mosquito spray? Or would it be ok to get horse or dog mosquito spray and spray it on a cloth and wipe it on the rabbit? Are mosquitos a problem with rabbits?
Thank you!

I haven't experienced issues with mosquitoes. Bot flies are usually more of a problem.

If you would like to use a repellent, don't use anything meant for people, horses, or full-grown dogs - those formulas are far too strong for a small animal. If you can find a formula that's safe for kittens or puppies, that would be more suited towards a rabbit's size.

Of course, the best solution, if you can find a way to do it, is to bring your bun indoors. They'll feel much safer and you'll get a chance to see them binky and loaf around.

Best of luck!

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.