Rabbits/pulling hair

Question
Hello, I have two rabbits one I 7 months and the other is an adult of an unknown age they get along really well and I was told they're both boys however when I let them out to run around sometimes I come across the younger bunny humping my older bunny and pulling his hair out what does this mean???

Answer
It sounds like they are fighting.  It is possible that the one boy is trying to display dominant behavior but when they are pulling out each others hair this could lead to all out fighting.  I strongly recommend that you have both of them neutered if you intend to keep them bonded. If if adult non neutered male bunnies get a long most of the time they will eventually fight.  These fights usually result in one of them getting their testicle ripped open and an emergency vet bill.  It is very rare to be able to properly bond male bunnies.  If they do get a long and they are already neutered I would try to deter them from this dominance behavior by giving them a little squirt with a water bottle.  If they are not neutered yet you should probably separate them now before you have a disaster on your hands.

Here is some info on bonding bunnies:

http://rabbit.org/faq-bonding-multiple-rabbits/

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.