Rabbits/Rabbit hutch

Question
So, I am building a hutch out of scrap wood. I recently finished the cage and just realized that a piece of wood that I used for the front had been used to cure a rabbit hide last year. Just salting the hide, no chemicals or anything. I was wondering if I just rinsed it off and painted it, would it be ok for the cage? Or would the rabbit smell the hide and be unhappy?
Thank you!

Answer
Sam,

Sorry for the delay in response.

I wouldn't risk using anything that's been used for other processes (especially THAT one in particular) because even if painted, they may still smell what's underneath. There's no telling what sort of reaction it might bring on.

If you can replace it, I would.

Best!

Christine

Rabbits

Christine Whetstone