Rabbits/Bunny in stasis! Enema helpful?

Question
Hi!

My bunny Dusty is around 4 months old.  She is on diet of hay and pellets and veggies.  5 days she ate amount of non slip rubber matting.  She has appeared to be okay and was playing as usual and eating and drinking normally too with the exception of decreased fecal production.  This morning I woke up and she has barely made any fecal pellets.  Local vet said to try rubbing vaseline on her paws, she will lick it and it will help lubricate her GI tract.  It seemed to help before but today not as much.  Ive read about administering an enema...Will this help Dusty move whatever is slowing her poo production?  I don't want to hurt her but I don't want her in stasis either!! I'm very worried and want Dusty to be okay!  Shes been antisocial this morning so far, she thumped at me twice and I'm not sure if she ate anything during the night either.  She did go for her treat though, so that was reassuring.  Just looking for any help, I'm still new to bunny parenting.  Thank you so much for all the great and helpful instructions you give on bunny parenting.  Please help me know how to take care of Dusty the best.  - Katie and Dusty.

Answer
Dear Katie,

Please read:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

You can getinformation on the enema procedure here, an instructional video starring Zuma and my hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGQqO_vyBOw

Hope this helps.

Dana
P.S. - Ditch the vaseline and the current vet. Find a more rabbit-savvy vet at www.rabbit.org/vet  

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.