Rabbits/Gladiolus - poisonous or not?

Hi Cat

I'm trying to find out if Gladiolus is a poisonous plant for rabbits to eat, or not.

I have 1 vet telling me my rabbit has a 50% chance of not making it... and another vet (who is a rabbit/small animal specialist) telling me that the plant doesn't feature on any list of poisonous plants that he has access to!

So, opposite ends of the spectrum as you can see.

Have you come across this before? Do you have any tips as to where I could look for more info if you're not sure?

Hi Ryan

I had a quick look around and it would appear that this plant family does have a level of toxicity, and is listed as toxic to dogs, cats and horses, which I would take as toxic to other furries and us too. When it comes to more exotic plants they often don't feature on the usual bunny toxicity lists, they are more focused on toxic weeds and very common house plants they're more likely to come in contact with.

I hope your bunny will pull through!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.