Rabbits/HELP! cotton tail with diarrhea

Question
My husband and I are licensed rehabilitators.  Our manual says to use Biosol for diarrhea in cotton tails. We mix it .1cc Biosol in .9cc LRS.  Diluted dose is .0003cc/gm. Give 2 times a day.  This is not working for us!  We hate losing bunnies to wet tail.
We read that you use Imodium, so my husband calculated a dilution: .1cc Imodium with 200cc water.  Give .002 of dilution every 4-8 hours.  This is so diluted that we wonder how it would work on a 66gr cotton tail. Do we have it calculated incorrectly?
We would really appreciate any help you can give us.
Thanks so much!
Zandra

Answer
Hi, Zandra

Sorry I have been offline for several days, and just now got this.

The amount of imodium you calculated is very wee, but it's the dose we've used.  You don't want to plug them up so badly that they can't poop.  I hope the baby is doing okay.  I know how hard it is to lose them to this problem.

I find the key is VERY QUICK administration of ciprofloxacin, which kills the bacteria we've found most often to be the culprit:  E. coli.  We have it all over us, and it's nearly impossible not to transmit to the babies.  I always wash my hands with surgical scrub and hydrogen peroxide before handling baby lagomorphs.  

Thank you for what you do.

Sincerely,

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.