Rabbits/Marbocyl dosage too high?

Question
Hi Dana,

My rabbit was just prescribed Marbocyl for a possible mouth infection. She just had her teeth filed down, but she's still drooling. They gave me 80mg tablets that are usually used for dogs and told me to give 3/4 of a tablet per day for 5 days. I gave her the dose yesterday, and she seems okay. The drooling has all but stopped.  But it seemed like a really high dose, and I have to give 4 more, so I looked online and could only find that the recommended dosage is 2-5mg/kg. She weighs 4.5 kilos, so if I gave 5mg per kilo that would only come out to 22.5 mg. And the dose they told me to give is 60 mg.

I live in the Czech Republic (Eastern europe) and this vet is supposed to be the rabbit expert in town. It took me a long time to find a vet that files teeth down with proper tools rather than clips them. So, I have no option here for a second opinion. The dose for metacam that they gave me was pretty high, too - 1 ml per 24 hours of 1.5 ml suspension. I've only been doing .5 ml and it works just fine.

Can you verify if my concerns are correct? Should I cut the dose back to a half tablet or less? From what I read, a too high dose of Marbocyl can lead to seizures. Thank you so much for any info you can give me.

Answer
Dear Julie,

The dose we generally use for marbofloxacin is 20mg/kg once per 24 hours.  Metacam can be dosed up to 1mg/kg every 24hours.

Because you don't say how much your rabbit weighs, I can't tell what dose she is getting.  But I hope this helps.

Drooling is usually a sign of molar spurs or other dental disorder:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.