Rabbits/How much does a rabbit veterinarian cost?

How much does a rabbit vet bill cost? how many times do rabbits go to the vet in their life?

Dear Simone,

Veterinary care for a rabbit can vary tremendously from geographic area to geographic area and from vet to vet.  A simple office visit can range from $40 to more than $100, depending on where you live or whom you see.  Likewise, I've heard price quotes for spay/neuter range from $90 to $600.  So it pays to shop around and find a vet who not only knows a lot about rabbits, but also charges reasonable fees.

I've sometimes heard of vets who are NOT familiar with rabbit medicine charging exorbitant rates, and I wonder if they are trying to discourage a client from saddling them with a patient they don't feel comfortable treating!  If so, then run--don't walk--to a different vet.  You can find listings of vets who are competent with rabbits here:

A rabbit should have a wellness check at the vet at least once a year. Healthy, young rabbits should have annual blood work and other diagnostics to establish a baseline to which later values can be compared, as the rabbit ages.  How many times your rabbit will visit the vet during his lifetime depends on his lifespan and overall health.  Obviously, a rabbit with chronic health problems will visit the vet more often than a healthy one.  But if you follow the guidelines of the House Rabbit Society for proper diet, housing, and care, then your rabbit will have the best chance of having a long, healthy life.

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology