Rabbits/sick rabbits

I had bought two 5 week old rabbits a week and a half ago. One of them died four days after I got it. It had diarria and started having seizures. The second one died yesturday and it had also got diarria. Now starting tonight my other rabbit that is 5 months old and possibly pregnant has diarria. Whatever the other two had when I bought them transefered to my other rabbits. I also have another 5 month old and twelve week old rabbits. How do I stop the diarria so that nothing happens to my female and how do i keep the other two from getting it? Whatever they have is killing my rabbits.

Hi Chasity

Sorry to hear you have sick rabbits. The first thing that came into my head was coccidiosis, which is highly contagious and pretty nasty. I recommend you get all your remaining rabbits to your vet ASAP. They need to be tested to see if it is cocci or something else and likely need gut probiotics and antibiotics to fight whatever it is those two babies brought in. You can read about cocci here:

I am also concerned someone was willing to sell 5 week old rabbits, they are not weaned until 8 weeks and at 5 weeks should still be with mum. Being weaned too early leaves their still developing immune system open to infections and parasites and they are more likely to get sick. Just the stress of being moved from mum so early can kill them. Mucoid enteritis is another killer of baby bunnies but not so contagious as cocci.

Good luck at the vets!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.