Rabbits/swollen testicle

Question
rabbit testicle
rabbit testicle  
My rabbit has a swollen testicle.  I raise them for meat, its just not economical for me to take to a vet.  there is a 2 mm wide abrasion on the testicle and it is twice the size of the other testicle with no real redness.  Is there an antibiotic I can administer to see if that is the cause?  If it is anything else I will have to cull.  I do not want to cull because he is a big buck.  All my rabbits are treated well and so forth, they get sunshine pellets hay and treats.  I want to be able to treat the rabbit but seeing a vet is off the table.  If it is as simple as giving an injection below a fold of skin (say, like the neck skin) I am equipped to do that.  I can get most antibiotics and syringes.  Obviously if its anything too complicated I cannot proceed, but simple injections are something I am equipped to do.

While it may be that it is not an infection, if it is anything else i will have to cull.  Since infection is a likely cause and since it means I could potentially keep the animal, I would like to try antibiotics to see if it helps.  If it does not I will cull.

The animal did not get this way in my care.  Rather I bought the rabbit and did not notice until today.

Answer

I can't really tell from the photo but this is the way I look at things.  If you are just going to cull the animal and it is not suffering then it doesn't hurt to try to treat it.  While I don't think the penicillin is the best choice for infections in rabbits, it is the easiest to get.  It has to be given by injection because oral penicillin is toxic to rabbits and can cause fatal enteritis.  If you have any baytril (enrofloxacin) this would probably work better.  This can be given orally or by injection.  

His testicle does not really look that bad.  It is not uncommon for rabbits to suck one testicle up inside.  To me that is all this looks like.  The swelling may get better on its own.  I understand that breeders can't always take their animals to the vet but if he is still eating, drinking and pooping and has no open or obviously distressing injuries I would just keep an eye on him.

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.