Rabbits/having babies

my rabbit gave birth to four babies a month ago and then gave birth to more today without being put back in with the male . she is in pin with just her four babies how did she have more today ????

Was she in the cage with the male the day the babies were born?  Rabbits can get pregnant immediately after giving birth.  There is no possible way that day old babies bred their mother so she was with the buck at some point about 30 days ago.  If she was not in with the male on the day of the babies birth then your children or your spouse or someone is lying to you about them not being put together.

Rabbit babies need a full 8 weeks of their mothers milk in order to develop normally>  I have attached an article that explains why. It is very important to house the male and the female separate unless they are fixed.  I strongly suggest that if you plan to have the male and female together that you get the male fixed immediately.  When the babies are weaned you should get the female fixed also.  Female rabbits that are not spayed have a high chance of developing reproductive cancer.  

You may have no other choice than to remove the 4 week old babies and hope they survive.  If you know any breeders in your area you may be able to foster the new born babies to some of the litters they currently have.  If the babies have been born in the past few days the mother will never know as rabbits can't count.  You can rub a little bit of the mothers fur on the babies so that she does not smell your doe.  If you don't know anyone you will just have to hope for the best.  

Make sure to separate the babies before 12 weeks old or they will impregnate each other.  If you do not know how to sex rabbits properly then I suggest you go to a rabbit savvy vet or contact the breeder where you got your original rabbit.  Do not trust pet store employees they are quite often wrong and this leaves large amounts of homeless bunnies that are dumped in shelters or worse yet, set free to die!!

Please get your rabbits fixed.  If your rabbit is having new babies 4 weeks after the original babies then either need to find a mentor or you need to stop breeding rabbits because you have obviously not done any research.

Thank you and good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.