Rabbits/Black spots on skin.

Question
Popcorn
Popcorn  
I have a male fuzzy lop, 2 years old.  We just shaved him as he was so matted at adoption.  Once shaved, he had beautiful pink skin, though it was very stretched from the massive matts.  Today, a week later, he has large black spots covering most of his back and sides.  It is extremely visible through his left over white hair.  Help please.  I am very worried about my boy.

Answer
Hi, Tara

You might be surprised to learn that those black spots are a *good* sign:  they are a sign that his fur is growing back.  The dark patches are where he has pigmented fur, and the rest of his skin might start to darken  up, too, as the hair follicles there "wake up" and start doing their job.

In a week or so, your boy will start to have short, silky fur again.  :)

Good luck!

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.