Rabbits/My bunny isn't eating

Question
Yesterday my two and a half Dutch bunny didn't want to eat. He is the type that eats everything at anytime. I was trying to give him an apple in case something was wrong with his food and he just pushed it away from him. He didn't drink water and he didn't move. He was laying down in the corner of the cage (even though his cage is always open) and he was closing his eyes really weirdly. I tried to pet him and he was freezing! So I picked him up and pet him. About ten minutes later he jumped and started to run in the room (his normal behavior) but I wonder what exactly happen to him? Now he is ok, but should I take him to a veterinarian to get checked?
Please help me.

Answer
Dear Or,

When a bunny behaves in an unusual way, it's important to know how to tell if it's an emergency requiring veterinary care or not.  Please read:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html

It's also a good idea to have a rabbit-savvy vet already known and ready in case you need one.  You can find a rabbit-experienced vet with the referral list linked here:

http://www.rabbit.org/vet

I'm glad your bunny is feeling better, but it's not a bad idea to find a good rabbit vet and have a full wellness checkup so you have a professional relationship with the vet *before* you have an emergency.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.