Rabbits/My rabbit didn't want to eat drink or move

Question
Yesterday my two and a half Dutch bunny didn't want to eat. He is the type that eats everything at anytime. I was trying to give him an apple in case something was wrong with his food and he just pushed it away from him. He didn't drink water and he didn't move. He was laying down in the corner of the cage (even though his cage is always open) and he was closing his eyes really weirdly. I tried to pet him and he was freezing! So I picked him up and pet him. About ten minutes later he jumped and started to run in the room (his normal behavior) but I wonder what exactly happen to him? Now he is ok, but should I take him to a veterinarian to get checked?

Please help me, he is like my kid.

Answer
Hello,

Any time your rabbit acts different you really should take them in to be examined.  These symptoms would normally be the actions of a very sick animal.  The fact that he jumped up and went back to his normal self is strange.  I would recommend you have him examined.  I honestly can't tell you what is wrong with him but maybe your vet can.

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.