Rabbits/English lop ear chewing

Hi my english lop chewed off the tips of
Both her ears. There are two cats in my household that have access to her ears under the door to her room. Im worried about this behavior.

Hi Ashley,

I am a little bit confused here.  Is it the bunny that is chewing the ears or is it the cats?  It would be very odd for a rabbit to chew off their own ears.  It could be from stress.  Sometimes bunnies that get scared will do crazy things.  It could very well be the cats that are scaring her.  I would recommend finding a private place for just to see if the behavior stops without the cats around.

I also recommend that you contact Dr. Dana Krempels.  She is also an expert on this site and she may have some better answers for you.

I am sorry I couldn't be much help.

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.