Rabbits/Urgent: Rabbit savvy vet with knowledge in abscesses

Karen wrote at 2016-08-17 15:07:53
They haven't yet come around in Canada, at least from my experience with at least five of the "rabbit-savvy" vets. Their check ups do not go in-depth, for ex with teeth and ears. I had a really hard time even to get a vet to consider the possibility that my rabbit could have inner or middle ear infection (there were no outward signs, so they dismissed it). Eventually, one did an x-ray, which showed a shadowing; but he didn't treat it... Another vet, whom I consider more knowledgeable than the others, dismissed my bunny's hard lump on her abdomen. PatPat saw her twice within 9 months, and both times I mentioned the lump that was growing, though very slightly; and both times, she dismissed it, saying that Pat had more pressing issues.

It's very, very hard to find a vet who is willing to treat aggressively here (maybe they are scared of being sued?). Many will do all sorts of unnecessary tests, but when it comes to CARING and treatment, it is VERY conservative!

Good luck! I just wrote because I went through something similar...I lost PatPat on Friday and I'm still heart broken and looking for answers.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology