Rabbits/Pregnant bunny trouble

Question
My rabbit is pregnant, and this should be the day she has them/it. She made a nest last night. Today I went to the hutch and there is blood in her litter box.Just a bit, but it seemed to be mixed with a bit of something slimy. She is also very grumpy and tried attacking and biting us when we attempted to take our other rabbit out of the hutch. he is neutered now, but we were wondering if he could have possibly eaten it or maybe even if she did? By the way, she is a Holland Lop, if that helps. Please let me know what I should do!

Answer
Hi Jaydi,

I would take her to the vet.  Even if she did eat them you would find little parts.  What you are seeing could be the afterbirth but they usually eat that too.  If she is in labor and hasn't had the babies yet then her life could be in danger.  Your best option is to take her to a vet to have an ultrasound and make sure that there are no more babies inside.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.