Rabbits/Question

Question
Hello,
I actually have a couple of questions about rabbits
1) i have 2 rabbits that are about 4 to 6 weeks old,
what should i feed them, till know im feeding then pellets and
lettuce, is that safe?
2)when should i feed them, i actually found 1 laying i was scared i thought he was dead but he was sleeping, so when should i feed them?
note: i have 1 male and one female

Answer
Hi Faisal,

Are you sure they are only 4 to 6 weeks old?  That is way to young for bunnies to be away from their mothers.  If they are only 4 weeks old there is a strong possibility that they will not survive.  If they are 6 weeks they have a better chance.  They need as much fresh grass hay as they want.  While baby bunnies can eat alfalfa hay we only use timothy or orchard grass hay.  I would be getting the best hay you can find.  You can order Oxbow hay online and have it shipped to your house.  I also recommend Oxbow pellets for baby bunnies.  You can find it on Amazon.

The babies are to young to be feeding vegetables.  I would not start introducing any vegetables until they are about 4 months old.  If you are feeding lettuce it needs to be green or red leaf lettuce or romaine.  Iceberg lettuce is not safe and has no nutritional value.  You can find a list of rabbit safe vegetables and other feeding information here:  http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

When your rabbits reach 10 weeks old you need to separate them.  I suggest that you start looking for a rabbit savvy vet and have them spayed/neutered as soon as they are old enough.

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.