Rabbits/Rabbit skin condition - bumps

I have a question about my rabbit's apparent skin condition. She is a 6 year-old spayed female Rex, mostly black with some white fur.  I adopted her 1.5 years ago from a private party. She is of healthy weight, very friendly, and has an excellent appetite for timothy hay and occasional fresh vegetables. She appropriately plays with and chews on safe toys provided.
About two months ago, I noticed she had some raised areas on various places of her skin. They are the same color as her skin. They appeared on her flanks and sides and do not appear to be tender. They don't exactly flake off when she is brushed (and she loves to be brushed), but they do come off with gentle fur plucking. The texture is mostly hard, somewhat leathery.  They went away in about a week and I just noticed yesterday that they have returned in a different area - one small patch on her cheek and another area on her back. Same description.
They don't seem to match any of the descriptions or pictures I've read about on vet sites or HRS. Any ideas?
I will take her to the vet should these arise again but am open to options until that time.

Dear Maggie,

A few types of mites seem to create little scabby lesions like this.  I've seen them on our jackrabbits, and--very rarely--on our domestic rabbits.  They do away with treatment with Revolution (selamectin).

But yes, I would suggest you have a good rabbit vet take a look next time you see these little bumps, just to be sure they are benign.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology