Rabbits/aggressive dwarf

I have a netherland dwarf, Lucifer he is about0 months old. He was a little aggressive once he hit puberty so I had him neutered. That was almost 2 months ago. Since he has become more aggressive and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. He has begun to growl/snarl while charging and then he will bite (or at least try, hes usually successful. Im not sure what is going on or what I can do to curb his behavior. He used to sit and cuddle with me but now he bites for no apparent reason and it has made me quite jumpy.

Dear Char,

Ah, the Rabbit Who Runs with the Wolves.  We have had them, and sometimes there is no clear reason for the aggressive behavior.  I have noticed, though, that the aggressive ones are often the most intelligent, and once you conquer the behavior, they are the most wonderful bunnies.  I guess you named him appropriately!

Bottom line:  You're not alone.  There are plenty of articles on this subject that can help you cope and learn how to curb his feisty behavior, which is often just defensiveness or an attempt to let you know he's the Alpha (and he's frustrated you're not reading the signs).  Here's a good place to start:

And here are a few more good sources:

As some of the articles point out, it is important to rule out medical problems or sources of pain that can make a rabbit grouchy and foul-tempered.  Have a good rabbit vet do a full wellness check including a look deep into the mouth for molar problems, and possibly examine the bladder to check for sludge or stones (unusual in a young rabbit).

I hope this helps.  Good luck, and remember that patience pays off BIGtime with aggressive bunnies.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology