Rabbits/MY BABY BUNNY

Question
I WAS WONDERING IF I CAN PUT A LITTLE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH ON MY BABY BUNNY, SO SHE DOESN'T GET FLEAS. I HAVE TWO GERMAN SHEPHERDS. I USE ALL NATAUL REMEDIES. NO CHEMICALS,MY BUNNY IS 13 WEEKS OLD,I USE ALZOO ON MY DOGS,CAN I USE THAT ON MY BUNNY,ONLY IN MUCH SMALLER DOSES,I JUST THOUGHT THAT THE DE WOULD BE BETTER FOR BUNNY.I WAS USING THE DE ON MY DOGS BUT IT DRIED THEIR SKIN OUT TO MUCH.I WOULD LOVE TO DONATE TO YOUR ORGANAZATION,PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW.

THANK YOU

Answer
Hi Kristie,

I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I was trying to do a little research on DE and Alzoo.  There are different opinions on DE and it is really hard to determine if the product is actually safe.  I have found articles that say it is safe to use in the environment but very few that say it is safe to put directly on the animal.  I really wish I could help you with this but I am just not familiar enough with it to feel comfortable giving you a firm answer.  I would ask your rabbit savvy vet for their opinion.  Your bunny is approaching the age where she should go in for her check-up and spay so I would also ask them about flea control.  

I have not found any information at all about Alzoo.  I did read their web-site and there is no mention that it is safe for rabbits.  Until it can be proven safe by veterinarians or the House Rabbit Society, I would not use it on your rabbits.  I would keep a flea comb handy and I would brush your bunny with it daily.  If you notice and fleas or flea dirt then I would do more investigating as to what product to use.  I know you want to use natural treatments but if your bunny does become infested with fleas, I would use the products that are proven to be safe.  We use Revolution or Advantage at the shelter.

There should be a link to donate to our organization below.  If not we accept donations through Paypal and the email address is littleangelsanimalsanctuary@gmail.com

Good luck to you.  I am sorry I did not have a better answer for you.

Paula

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.