Rabbits/Rabbit cage biting

Hi, I've recently got a little female mini lop called Lottie. She is the cutest, friendliest creature ever but she keeps on biting the cage bars! She has a large indoor cage with a pen attached to the cage, which she has access to 24 hours a day. She has endless amounts of toys and a gnawer stick attached to the pen, which she doesn't use. What can I do to train her to stop chewing the bars?

Hi Amy

They are cheeky monkeys! You need to use distraction techniques. Have a box of bunny safe toys such as willow balls, chew sticks and stuffed hay toilet rolls, and change it all round twice a day. Bunnies love dig boxes too and that keeps them occupied for a while - fill with hay or shredded paper and let them make a mess. They have short attention spans, so swapping toys regularly keeps them fresh, new and exciting!

Will Lottie be spayed if she's not already? Pairs tend to keep themselves occupied with each other with mutual grooming etc. Once spayed she can be bonded with a neutered husbun and it does help :)

Hope that helped a bit?

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.