Rabbits/Rabbit with one testicle (Already been to the vet and they can't find the other)

I have a 7 month old male Mini Rex rabbit. Last month on March 4th, I brought him to the vet for neutering. The vet said he only had one descended testicle and he was able to alter that one. He said to bring the rabbit back in a month to do a second surgery to find and neuter the second testicle. When I picked up my rabbit the receptionist said that the doctor spent a while looking around and could not find anything. She felt that it might be deformed or nonexistent. Is there anything more I can do? I know that a retained testicle can lead to higher chance of cancer, and I don't want to see my rabbit go through that.

Thank you so much.

Dear Danielle,

Our vets have dealt with cryptorchids (undescended testicles) on occasion, and they have all found that the "missing" testicle is very hard to locate.  It can be very tiny and degenerate, sometimes little more than a streak of tissue.  One has to be a good detective to find it, but should not go in expecting to see a fully formed testicle.  :(

While it's possible that the cryptorchid can become cancerous, and it's better to have it removed, if your vet can't find it I'm not sure what to do.

Are there any other rabbit-savvy vets around who are more familiar with the appearance of cryptorchids?  If so, you might let your little guy recover for a few months, and then see a different vet for an opinion on a second surgery.

You can check the list linked here to find other rabbit-savvy vets:

Also, once your rabbit is a bit older, the testicle might become larger and a bit easier to locate.

Hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology