Rabbits/Rabbits behavior

Question
I have 2 rabbits, they have a whole room for themselves, when I'm home they are allowed to roam the apartment but in the last few months or so they have been staying in their room when I'm home. They seem like they are perfecly content. Nothing stressful has been going on and they are healthy. I tried to bribe them with treats with no success. Any ideas on what's going on and how I can get them out of their room . I feel like they are being neglected because the only time they get any attention is when I go in there which is all not that often. :(

Answer
Hi Celeste,

Do you have any other animals or anything they might be scared of in your home?  Bunnies are fabulous little creatures but when they have a bonded mate, they are usually pretty content to just hang out with them.  I assure you that if they have an entire room to play in and they are getting all their normal feed and especially treats, that you are not neglecting them.  I have a few house bunnies too and I have one that lives in my kitchen.  He will not leave the kitchen no matter how much I try to force him to.  He is content in his own little space and I think he just feels safe there.  As much as we want to know what our animal friends are thinking, it is kind of impossible.  As long as they are eating, pooping, playing and grooming each other then I wouldn't worry to much about it.  Bunnies are weird.  You may want to ask some of the other experts for their opinion as well.

Good luck to you

Paula Murdock
President
Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc.
Sherman, NY

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.