Rabbits/Rabbit behavior

I was laying on the floor with my bunny. She was running around and then came over between me and her cage and stood straight up for a little and then got down and I heard this loud pound on the floor. When I heard it again I saw her thump. Why did she do that.

It sounds like you just experienced your first thump of disapproval. Perhaps she was looking for attention, or saw something that gave her a shock, but a thump is a call to attention in some form or fashion. It's up to us as bunny parents to decipher what's making them unhappy.

I'd say, from your recap, she was either looking for pets, or maybe a treat, but generally just wanted attention.

Hope this helps!

Christine Whetstone

I am not an expert on wild rabbits, only domesticated rabbits. I can answer questions regarding habitats, behavior, diet, health, pairing/bonding - pretty much anything having to do with owning a rabbit.

I've owned indoor rabbits for the last 10 years. During that time I've gained experience in areas like bonding exercises, understanding behavior, warning signs of sick bunnies, how to handle more serious illnesses (GI stasis, abscesses, eye problems, etc.) and more. It's rare that I come across an inquiry that I do not already know the answer to.

House Rabbit Society, supporter of local rabbit rescues

Personal experience beats the pants off of a degree, in my opinion.