Rabbits/Care for service bunny's waste in public

I have a lion head bunny as an ESA registered service animal. I bought him from the breeder when he was born, and received him as soon as he was old enough to be away from his mom; although he has only recently become my service animal. I know any type of diapers for bunny's is harmful and cruel, and I don't want to do that. I have a pouch type thing that I wear over my shoulder for him to sit in while I'm walking around. I also have a bunny harness and light weight stretchy leash for him. He is not leash trained, but in certain public settings where I can, I like to set him down (if he seems to not like being held any longer) and let him hop around while holding onto the leash (and making sure he isn't getting into anything dangerous). I have even figured out ways to make sure he stays cool and frequently feel the inside of his ears to make sure he isn't getting overheated. The only thing I can't figure out is how to contain is poop and pee. I can't lay anything in the pouch as he just kicks it up to the side while he is in there. The poop is easy to pick up and throw away, but a hassle if he isn't on my lap or in the pouch. Is there anything I can do??

Dear Hannah,

The only thing I can think of is for you to bring a dustbuster-type of small vaccuum cleaner or just a dustpan and whisk broom with you wherever you go with your bunny.  He's less likely to pee, but if he does that, then a ziplock bag filled with a washcloth soaking in white vinegar will be a good emergency cleanup tool.

But I would certainly not attach anything to the bunny to contain the waste.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology