Rabbits/Emergency! Diarrhea in adult rabbit!! Fungus in stools

Stool sample under microscope
Stool sample under mic  

Blood in urine
Blood in urine  
My bun has been suffering from mushy stools for the past 5 days and ad stopped eating in between, though pulled through due to critical care fed through syringe. Now she is eating on her own (only giving grass/hay) but is passing small charcoal black mushy stools. Her stool sample shows fungus growth in it. Last few she was on enroflaxacin for 5 days for UTI. And she also has blood in her urine for the past 12 days. Being in India, none of the vets are able to form a diagnosis as the ultrasound is clear and nobody has experience with spaying for uterine cancer. The problem now though is that we are not able to control her diarrhea without which she is not a suitable candidate for surgery. Is this fungus causing diarrhea in her? Is there a way to treat it? My mom is a doctor and she says fungal is a lost cause, as it is very very difficult to treat. No vet here has the expertise to put her on IV either. If the diarrhea continues, I dont think she will survive for long. Please tell me how to fix her diarrhea cause only then can we take her for surgery.

Dear Poorvi,

The microorganisms in the sample do look like yeast, not coccidia.  And the good news is that there is not really a significant overgrowth.  That's about the number of yeast you'd expect to see in a rabbit fecal sample.

I think you need to concentrate on the source of the blood in the urine. I'm not confident in the proclamation (via ultrasounds) that it's not uterine adenocarcinoma.  But I'm not there to examine her.

But before any surgery, she'll need to be stabilized:  hydrated and the runny stool controlled.

Was her bladder checked for stones?

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology