Rabbits/Re bonding female rabbits

I have 2 female mini lop rabbits that are 4 months old. The have been best of friends up until a few days ago until one started being aggressive towards the other one. The other rabbit has not been aggressive back and is obviously the submissive one, running away and hiding. I have had to keep them apart for the last 3 days. They share a living space and a run so I have had to keep swapping them over. I have used a pet carrier as an outside house for night time. The rabbit that has become aggressive is being spayed today. I am worried about how to re bond them when she comes back from the vet. Please can you offer any advice.

Hi Tracey

It certainly sounds like you've got two little teenagers on your hands!

I would recommend not trying to rebond until both are spayed and allowed 4-6 weeks to heal up from the surgery and for hormones to dissipate. You will need to find some more spacious temporary accommodation. Dog crates and puppy pens can work well.

Then you can try controlled introductions on completely neutral territory neither have been before and monitor very carefully. There is a risk that these two do not have compatible personalities now they have come of age and this is something you need to have a back up plan for. It is more positive that one is not fighting back but only time will tell. There are lots of websites on bonding rabbits, read them all!

Good luck!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.