Rabbits/My rabbit constantly poops in his food and water bowl

Question
QUESTION: dear Dana my rabit will not sto pooping in his food and water bowl. I always have to keep cleaning his food and water all the time. A loty of food gets wasted because of this. Is my rabit sick?

ANSWER: Dear Anahera,

Have you provided a litterbox for the bunny?  I would place a nice, comfortable litterbox filled with non-clay litter (pelleted sawdust or recycled paper litters are good) and covered with soft hay in the spot where the food bowl is now.  Move the food bowl to a different spot.  It is very likely the bunny will poop in the litterbox, not in the bowl.

For all the best information  on the care of your bunny, please visit:

http://www.rabbit.org

I hope this helps.

Dana

QUESTION: I have provided him with a comfortable little box withhay in it. He poops in there but also poops on in his food and water bowl still

Answer
Dear Anahera

Try elevating his food and water bowl on a small shelf that's harder to sit on.

Alternatively, place the bowls in the center of his pen, not the corner.  Bunnies tend to like to poop in corners.

It's not uncommon for young rabbits to do this, and it may be something he'll eventually outgrow.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.